[Histonet] biopsy "bags" for processing - alternatives

Jennifer.Johnson <@t> genzyme.com Jennifer.Johnson <@t> genzyme.com
Thu Aug 14 14:43:47 CDT 2014

Hi,
We have a two alternatives to biopsy bags. I work with mouse tissues, but I bet you could probably adapt them to human biopsy applications.
The first is the trifold paper towels (you know, the off white rough paper towels you pull from a dispenser in the ladies room).   The nice thing is that they are usually in every necropsy room or lab I have had to work in.  I used them out of desperation once  (necessity is not the ONLY mother of invention!).  Now it is what I choose to use every time.
Before starting a necropsy  will cut up the a few of the paper towels into either long skinny rectangles or squares about twice the size of the cassettes.  I use them 2 ways - for tissues that are small, which is what your needs are here, I will put the sample in the middle and fold the towel around it.  I fold it the same way every time so that the embedders know how to open my little pockets.  A nice little additional advantage is that the tissue is a little damp and the towel is dry so it is easy to orient the samples if they are small and stringy (mouse sciatic nerves) especially because the paper towels are just a little rough.
               The other way I use the paper towel is the rectangular strip.   I use it to keep tissues flat by gently spreading out a piece of rodent skin onto one end and then folding the other end of the paper towel over it.  It holds it flat during fixation so that when it comes out of the processor, it is easily lifted off and oriented.
                The paper towels are porous so they allow the processing fluids to penetrate easily.  They carry over less contaminating fluids in the processors than the sponges too.   Best of all, they are cheap and easily found!  I love them.
              Our other alternative is Cell Safe cassettes.  I am not sure who makes them but I know that may distributors sell them.  I usually get them from EMS.
Hope this helps,
Jenn

Jennifer Johnson
Staff Scientist