[Histonet] RE: paraffin

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Thu Aug 14 11:02:41 CDT 2014

I want  these in doorways of my house.  We used tacky mats at entrance of
designated room for prion tissue work i.e. paraffin microtomy and
cryomicrotomy, etc.  Fabulous way to keep the floors clean.

We also had industrial rugs i.e. the kind seen at entrances to large
buildings in  lab where routine paraffin microtomy was done.  These were
vacuumed daily by the janitorial staff and could be shampooed if needed.
These rugs  were put in after a  visiting professor slipped on paraffin
slick,  painted concrete floor.     He would have bashed back of his head
but managed to catch himself on way down, clutching a door knob.   I think
the rugs avoid potential injuries and lawsuits against our university.

Go for the sticky mats!!!   I liked how Esther used them in all areas, and
certainly better than rugs which are eventually trashed and unsightly with
ground in paraffin residue.   I suggest in front of the processors too.

Gayle Callis
HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Esther C
Peters
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:18 PM
To: Walter Benton; Algeo, Lacie A; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: paraffin

The nice thing about those is that "sticky mats" will also collect the dust
from shoes; I found that these stop a lot of dust coming in at the outside
door entrances, as well as having them to collect paraffin under the
embedding center, in front of the tissue processor and fume hoods, and under
the microtomes. It is amazing how much dust and dirt can come in with
people's  shoes!

Esther C. Peters, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Environmental Science & Policy
George Mason University
4400 University Drive, MS 5F2
Fairfax, VA 22030-4444
Office: David King Hall, Room 3050
Phone: 703-993-3462
Fax: 703-993-1066
e-mail: epeters2 <@t> gmu.edu
https://bluprd0511.outlook.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=ET8XhF-xC0ytBErXdaN3U3lGqWmZ
NdAI_N-4nsEb0IjgUpeIoQa7EcVMJMh2oePPPKrrDjhwOvk.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fesp.gmu.ed