[Histonet] Re: Weight Loss/Weight Gain decalcification endpoint test

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Mon Aug 11 16:35:09 CDT 2014

Trevor and Jennifer,

This method originally came from Mawhinney et al.  Control of rapid nitric
acid decalcification J Clin Pathol 1984 37:1409-1415 and was cited by Cathy
Sanderson (Mayton)in a publication using EDTA, found in Biotechnic and
Histochemistry.  Mawhinney acutally did a chemical test on final acid change
to see that calcium was not present, but we never had to do that.   If you
end up with a bit of residual calcium in block, I would surface decalcify at
microtomy.   I used it for years when we downsized and gave away our
FAXITRON.   Radiography is still the most accurate, and if you had either a
micro CT or digital FAXITRON available, it would be a better test.     I
used Cathy's method and will be happy to send the original publication for
anyone's files/future referencing.   A chemical test for EDTA is a pain to
do if a FAXITRON is not available.

I have put the full method below, with a bit more detail.

WEIGHT LOSS/WEIGHT GAIN ENDPOINT TEST

This is a method of choice for EDTA decalcification although it was
originally used by Mawhinney et al for testing nitric acid decalcification.

Many samples can be decalcified together in one container, i.e. 25 mouse
femurs in 1 liter of 10% formic acid.   If all the samples are the same
size, i.e. mouse femurs, tibia, paws, choose several as representative
samples and test only those to save time.   Always suspend bones in the
decalcifier.

Requires a balance that reads in milligrams to 3 places for greatest
accuracy.  Specimen must be blotted free of fluid for accurate weighing each
time you weigh the sample.  We suspend bones in nylon specimen bags for easy
removal to weigh.  Bags can be marked with pencil too.

Technique:

1.  Rinse NBF off bone, blot with paper towel, WEIGH BONE, RECORD BEGINNING
WEIGHT.  Suspend bone in acid or EDTA decalcifier.  During acid
decalcification CO2 bubbles are given off, so stir during decalcification to
release bubbles or small samples will float.   EDTA does not create CO2
bubbles, only acids.  Large bones can be started at end of day in acid
decalcifier and sit overnight with testing the next morning.

2. After 4 to 5 hours in acid or overnight in EDTA, remove bone, rinse with
water, BLOT, weigh.  RECORD WEIGHT.  If bone shows loss of weight, change
acid decalcifier to refresh acid.  Return samples to resume decalcification,
and repeat as many times as necessary.  EDTA should be changed but not as
often as acid.   Always use a large volume of decalcifier i.e. 20:1 or more.
Remove bone from specimen bag, and place in weighing boat to protect balance
from acids/EDTA.

3.  When bone begins to GAIN WEIGHT, the bone is decalcified.  Once calcium
is removed, water is taken on and the weight increases.  This water does not
affect the bone.

4.  Rinse bone with running tap water for an hour or longer to remove these
decalcifiers. Either store in 70% alcohol or process.    Store endpoint
tested decalcified bones in 70% alcohol while waiting for other samples to
finish decalcifying and mass processing run.

Reminders:  For EDTA, one can suspend bones and check every day for accuracy
but bones can be left in the EDTA over a weekend or several days without
damage as long as the bones were well fixed. Acid decalcified bones cannot
be left over a weekend, remove from acid, put in NBF to stop
decalcification. Bones should be endpoint tested before stopping
decalcification so you can resume decalcification on the next working day.
Rinse off NBF briefly before resuming decalcification.   Do not overexpose
bones to acids or you will damage antigens and nuclear staining.

Enjoy the method, as it truly is fast and easy.

Gayle M. Callis

HTL/HT/MT(ASCP)

_____

Ha Wow...that's almost too easy. Thank you for this!

Trevor Jordan Wait

University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio

Class of 2017 MD Candidate

Abilene Christian University Class of 2013 Graduate

B.S.  Biochemistry