[Histonet] Sources of LVN (low viscosity nitrocellulose)

Willy Bemis web24 <@t> cornell.edu
Thu Aug 7 15:01:41 CDT 2014

Historically, we used LVN (low viscosity nitrocellulose, also marketed as Celloidin and various other trade names) to embed specimens such as whole decalcified salmon heads for thick sectioning (30 to 100µm) using sliding microtomes such as the AO 860.

I used to be able to purchase LVN powder wetted with alcohol from the Hercules Company. Because their LVN  was not highly purified, it was much less expensive than Celloidin. It worked perfectly for our technique. Unfortunately, Hercules is no longer in business.

Does anyone know of a commercial source for LVN?

Willy