[Histonet] RE: whole slide scanners

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Tue Aug 5 10:15:53 CDT 2014

I agree with James the type of scanner you need will be dependent upon your use cases and workload.  We have an Aperio ScanScope XT which is an 120 slide scanner and that works well for us.

I'm going to make a shameless plug for a workshop that myself, Bill DeSalvo and Jesus Ellin will be giving at the annual meeting in Austin this year, it's called Digital Pathology for the Histotech - A Guide to Implementation it's an all day workshop that is on Saturday the 23rd and it will cover all aspects of how to select a scanner, how to implement scanning, etc.  It will be very valuable to histotechs that are already scanning and also techs that are new to the scanning process.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
liz <@t> premierlab.com
www.premierlab.com

March 10, 2014 is Histotechnology Professionals Day

Ship to Address:

Premier Laboratory, LLC
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of James Watson
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 8:14 AM
To: 'Kalleberg, Kristopher'; histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: whole slide scanners

The scanner you get depends on your usage and volume.  Three that I recommend are for high volume.

Aperio,
Good image quality,  if you need to link to study metadata Spectrum software is great.  Recommend for chromogen. Separate scanner for fluorescence,  fluorescent scanner  only holds 5 slides at a time.

Hamamatsu Nanozoomer,
What we use,  we do high volume chromogen and fluorescence,  excellent for both.  Our NanoZoomer holds 210 slides for a chromogen run.  Can load up about 100 fluorescent slides per night,  auto focus works well.

Philips,
Chromogen only,  very fast scanning with high quality scans.  60 slides per hour.

There are many others on the market for smaller workloads.

James Watson HT  ASCP
GNF  Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation Scientific Technical Leader II, Histology Tel    858-332-4647 Fax   858-812-1915 jwatson <@t> gnf.org