[Histonet] RE: Tracking control blocks

Cartun, Richard Richard.Cartun <@t> hhchealth.org
Wed Apr 16 20:03:21 CDT 2014

The vast majority of our positive control tissues are prepared from "left-over" tissue not used for patient diagnosis.  I am hesitant to use the diagnostic tissue for control purposes in case we have to go back to perform additional testing.  Also, I try to identify cases where we can put-through at least 20-30 tissue blocks.  All control cases are entered into a "FileMaker Pro" file that I created years ago.  Each case is given a "C" number and we enter the actual case number, the specimen site, the diagnosis, the time and date that the tissue is placed in formalin, the date that the tissue is processed, and immunoreactivity data (e.g., CK-MNF116+, HER2+, ALK1+, etc.).  This program allows us to search any field using free text; very helpful when identifying a case for control purposes.  All of our positive control slides have the "C" number on them.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 972-1596 Office
(860) 545-2204 Fax
richard.cartun <@t> hhchealth.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Fawn Bomar
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:30 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Tracking control blocks

Happy Easter everyone!!!  I was wondering if anyone had a tracking system that they would be willing to share in regards to how you all are keeping a record of your control blocks for IHC.  As of right now, we are cutting a slide and staining it for the pathologist to approve- then keeping the paperwork and slide in files, and putting a label on the block in use with the date of approval.

Thank you

Fawn
This electronic message may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged.  It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity named as recipients in the message.

If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer. Do not deliver, distribute, or copy this message, and do not disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on the information it contains.

Thank you