[Histonet] Telepathology

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> outlook.com
Thu Apr 10 10:55:39 CDT 2014

In the US, FDA has designated the WSI instruments as Class I and, to date, no company has received approval/clearance for use. Until the FDA issue is resolved, the use of WSI for primary diagnosis is prohibited. Outside the US, WSI can be used in all facets of pathology, including primary diagnosis, and is used extensively.

That said, in the US, using WSI for pathology processes such as frozen section diagnosis, case consultation, special stain and IHC review, can occur because these processes do not produce a primary diagnosis. There are many other uses for WSI in pathology lab that make the consideration for use and implementation cost effective.

CAP has released guidelines for validating WSI in the lab and there is the option to expand the use of WSI by using the "laboratory developed test" route.

The best resource for WSI, in my mind, is the Digital Pathology Association (DPA) web site. I am a member and this group is dedicated to the advancement and education of WSI. Check out the web site

William DeSalvo, BS HTL(ASCP)