[Histonet] RE: competency form

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Apr 9 07:26:47 CDT 2014

Is the question that Ronnie posed yesterday requesting justification of the need and extent of competency documentation for histology, or is it just a form needed? The general checklist pretty much sums up the necessity for doing, and required elements to me- GEN. 55500 and CLIA. Maybe I am not understanding?
As for a form, I would expect that the specific items on any forms will vary by your personnel and by the testing and processes you perform.
What I did to document initial training and competency was a make a summary checklist for each "bench" with tasks and direct observations "DO" for initial training  & documentation of satisfactory performance before patient testing.
I just put all those checklists together in a summary table for each person. High complexity; such as grossing, IHC, FISH scoring get more attention and documentation, the waived tests, you have more discretion,- but I thought it easier to do everything about the same. I have not been inspected on this document yet ( so can't say if CAP will have issues with it- but will know soon...) but here is basically what I did to meet GEN.55500 or the main parts;

Defined how competency is monitored- method and frequency ( just included as part of the competency SOP)
Orientation and initial training documentation in a checklist for general lab, safety
Training checklist on each technical bench, instrument, major procedure
PT records and performance/results
DO- a practical assessment ( block, slides, stains),  for the assessment of previously analyzed specimens, and a PI feedback checklist for the technical from this audit of issues- how/what to improve
Check off in performing QC, calibration, patient ID procedures ( acceptable error rates), examples for file
DO of grossing, other performance such as instrument programming/maintenance
Written quiz, policies & procedures, troubleshooting( problem solving documentation)
Continuing education participation records

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC