[Histonet] RE: Transporting blocks/slides between sites

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Mon Apr 7 17:06:00 CDT 2014

Sharon, We transport slide flats and tissue containers/cassettes baskets for processing (most grossing at one site, all tissue processing at another site). We use Colman 50QT coolers with handles and wheels to transport. They take a beating. We have about 10 of these because we have them receiving material at each of 3 sites and then four being transported at all times (30 min pickup schedule, each direction). It is a cheap and effective solution. We use half for paper/slide only (clean set) and half for tissue samples. If you  have less material, then maybe a smaller version of these would work for you.

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Histology, Electron Microscopy and Neuromuscular Special Studies
UC San Francisco Medical Center
San Francisco, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sharon Scalise
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 2:53 PM
To: 'histonet' (histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu)
Subject: [Histonet] Transporting blocks/slides between sites

We are looking for a better way to transport blocks and slides between our hospital sites.  We want the system to be secure so that as we track from site to site we can be assured that the contents have not been tampered with.  We currently are using plastic totes that have lids the can be secured using a zip tie.  The problem is that during transport (over time) these totes get pretty beat up and end up with cracks and holes in them.  We feel there is probably a better system so I am looking to the experience of the histonet users for suggestions.

Thank you!

Sharon Scalise, HTL(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor-Anatomic Pathology
Beaumont Health System