[Histonet] Undecalcified sample in paraffin and plastic media

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Sep 30 07:49:29 CDT 2013

Rui,

You will definitely want to consider using plastic media like methyl methacrylate (MMA). It will cause less shrinkage in the tissue during polymerization, you can still cut at a range of 4-12 microns using a rotary microtome and tungsten-carbide knife, any mineralization present in the tissue will infiltrate and polymerize well allowing for enhanced stabilization of tissue and section morphology throughout microtomy, and you can even deplastify the sections with certain MMA formulations to increase staining options.

Please let me know if you do wish to continue with plastic media as I have helped many labs to get started with and/or to refine their current capabilities with MMA. Additionally, I would like to point out that I Chair the Hard Tissue Committee (HTC) for the National Society for Histotechnology (NSH). Membership with the NSH has several benefits that could also help you to move forward with your project at your own pace. For example, as a member you will have access to all archived publications of the Journal of Histotechnology (JOH). With this access to the JOH via Manny Publishing, the HTC has created a reference document that collates all relevant publications (1970's to present) that pertain to bone, biomaterials, medical device implants, resin histology, etc., so that one can easily locate and obtain publication information relevant to their niche specific needs. Rest assured that I will be happy to help you either way you choose to move forward.

Best Regards,

Jack