[Histonet] Shredding biopsies

Arguello, Daniel arguellod <@t> ihn.org
Fri Sep 27 08:36:32 CDT 2013

Dear Histonetters,
I need your help troubleshooting an issue we've had with our colon biopsies since we switched from Safefix (alcohol fixative) to 10% formalin.
The complaint I get from the pathologists is that the tissue on these biopsies seems to be shredding, specially on the edge of the tissue. I am wondering if it is a over-fixation issue.
We use Soft block (http://www.polysciences.com/sitedata/poly/assets/datasheets/718.pdf<blocked::http://www.polysciences.com/sitedata/poly/assets/datasheets/718.pdf>), but it seems like it doesn't help much.
I would be very grateful if you can share your processing schedule for biopsies or any other tip that may help us resolve this issue.
Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Daniel Argüello, BS, CT(ASCP)CM
Anatomic Pathology Coordinator