[Histonet] Re: Grossing without gloves

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 17:16:03 CDT 2013

Steve McClain describes grossing without gloves.

When I was a pathology resident around 1970, we usually wore gloves to
handle gross specimens, always if the specimen was in formalin.

We always did frozen sections without gloves. The cryostat had just been
introduced, and many of the old-timers continued to use the old wet knife
method.

I confess I still do frozens without gloves if nobody's watching.

I also should probably mention that I've worked with three pathologists of
about my generation who caught tuberculosis in line of duty, one of whom
probably died of it.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN