[Histonet] The Good Old Days...

James Watson JWatson <@t> gnf.org
Fri Sep 20 14:20:19 CDT 2013

OK

1.	Making formalin and Grossing with an old metal table fan to blow the formalin fumes away.
2.	Finding the technicon hung up in the morning with the samples dried out.
3.	Figuring out how to reprocess the tissue
4.	Pan embedding and having the paper labels float away from the samples in the pan.
	a.	Bunsen burner needed
5.	Big kitchen knife heated over a Bunsen burner to make blocks
6.	Soaking re-useable metal cassettes in a bucket of xylene.  (next to where you were pan embedding)
7.	Sharpening a knife on multiple stones then stropping on leather then cloth.
8.	Over tightening the microtome clamp on the paraffin block and having to re-embed because the block broke.
9.	Making staining solutions (some of us still do this).
	a.	Making Schiffs regent without a hood
	b.	Cresyl violet stain powder floating around the room,  watch where you put your hands
	c. 	Silver nitrate spilled on the counter where you just put your hand then wiped your face.
10.	Staining slides in open staining dishes with no fume hood.
11.	Wiping the whole room down with xylene to clean the wax up.
12.	Autopsies in the afternoon,
13.	Whole human brains soaking in the sink in 5 gallons of 20% formalin overnight.

Oh boy,  really miss them good old days.  Life was easier then!

Hey Teri,	When are we going to get our new coverslipper in?  We were spoiled by the demo unit.

Jamie

James Watson HT  ASCP
GNF  Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation
Tel    858-332-4647
Fax   858-812-1915
jwatson <@t> gnf.org