[Histonet] ZINC formalin vs NBF for IHC

Fischer, Dolores Dolores_Fischer <@t> baxter.com
Wed Sep 18 08:27:26 CDT 2013

Good morning everyone!

I would like opinions on the use of zinc formalin for IHC.  Pros and cons??  A new pathologist would like us to use zinc formalin for working out a protocol for CD34 and/or CD31 in mouse.   I have always worked up needed protocols in 10% NBF with no problems and feel using zinc formalin will only throw in a variable that we don't need to add.  I also feel that NBF is the fixative of choice for most antibodies and procedures.  (small survey what do you use?)  Am I not being open minded enough? What zinc formalin is recommended for use in a VIP processor and for IHC?   I have read that there may be precipitation problems with this fixative.  Opinions are appreciated, I did try to search the archives but didn't find too much information on this subject.  I am trying to build a case for NOT using zinc formalin.  I believe our pathologist is trying to save us the antigen retrieval step in IHC.  Opinions??

Thanks all,

Dolores

The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended in any way to waive privilege or confidentiality. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

For Translation:

http://www.baxter.com/email_disclaimer