[Histonet] Fat Stain on Paraffin Slide ?

Bryan Llewellyn llewllew <@t> shaw.ca
Thu Sep 12 15:54:01 CDT 2013

I always used Chiffele and Putt's oil red O in propylene glycol for
paraffin
sections(http://stainsfile.info/StainsFile/stain/lipid/chiffelleputtpropgly.htm).

Althugh triglycerides (i.e. "fat") is removed from tissues during
paraffin processing, some lipids are not, or are only partially removed.
Lipofuscins are an exaample, so is myelin to a lesser degree. usually
the resistant lipids are those bound to protein. Oil red O is actually a
good stain for lipofuscin. Of course, do not dehydrate or clear the
section after staining, and use an aqueous mounting medium.

Bryan Llewellyn