[Histonet] Unregistered HT

Sarah Dysart sdysart <@t> mirnarx.com
Wed Sep 11 14:07:34 CDT 2013

So as not to have my inbox completely filled with emails...
None of the below statements was meant in any way as disrespectful to ANYONE!
1. "Old timers".  Just a term I have heard used by people who have been in the field for a long time.  I've been doing histology since 1999...I do not consider myself one of these yet.
2. A degree.  I am not saying that all "old timers" are without a degree or any post HS education.  Correct, many non-degreed workers are better than a degreed one.  I just think someone with a college degree should be paid accordingly.  If they are horrible at their job...they will probably be fired.  If you didn't finish your degree and still want to...go do it.
3. Chill out people...it's Wednesday...sheesh...  Some of the emails I have got offline completely demonstrate my point...give respect and you will be respected.  If you send me a tacky email...I'm probably going to be tacky right back to you...
4. These were all just my opinions...take it or leave it.

I hope everyone has a great rest of your day, and some people I think need to go home and have a drink =)

Sarah Goebel-Dysart, BA, HT(ASCP), QIHC (ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Mirna Therapeutics
2150 Woodward Street
Suite 100
Austin, Texas  78744
(512)901-0900 ext. 6912

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcum, Pamela A [mailto:PAMarcum <@t> uams.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:57 PM
To: Sarah Dysart; Blazek, Linda; Rene J Buesa; Clare Thornton; 'Emily Sours'
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Unregistered HT

Sorry Sarah some of us old timers do have BS and even MS degrees and still have to fight for every dime.  The whole field needs to be improved without any thought of how long someone has been in Histology.  We have the issue of people who have HTs being called HTLs due to the way the two registries were created.

In the early 1980s the only thing you could get was the HT registry no matter how much education you had worked to get.  Then we got the HTL for management skills as it was stated and for several years HTs could grandfather in with no additional education above HS.  Then in about 1984 the HTL started to require the education level of BS.  Unfortunately, since the two registries were to some extend mixed by the overlap of needing or not needing a degree the whole field is confused about who is what.  I have been called a histologist before I took my HT (with a BS) and HTL although I did not bother to grandfather in.   Yet I am called both and really don't care which I am called as long as I am respected.   An MS made no difference either way.

The real issue is most administration people and HR Departments don't know the difference between an HT and HTL and have no idea what to do.  I have seen HTs with a HS call themselves HTLs and no one knew the difference at the administration/HR levels.  (Some of those older people who started and may not even have a HS degree yet; are among the best histologist I have seen in 50 years.  Some with BS and/or MS degrees were terrible.  Some MTs came over with CP pay and could be great or awful.)  Education is not answer.  The issue is straightening out who we are and what we do as either registry area.

Here we had a salary survey and found most of the employers just paid the same for everything to avoid the issue or due to total misunderstanding of their even being a difference.  Now everyone is the same.  No one knew how to solve it to everyone's satisfaction and the histologist were not asked.  If you can say you have a BS you may get paid a little higher and only have an HT and be called an HTL.

Pam Marcum