[Histonet] Unregistered HT

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 11 10:01:10 CDT 2013

Just a comment on the comment about there being "not enough" HT/HTL programs
in the US. Agreed. There are 38 HT and 7 HTL, for a total of 45. Compare
that with 223 MLS/MT and 233 MLT, for a total of 456, and we histotechs have
1/10 the number of programs as med techs.

If you are interested in starting a HT or HTL program in your area, either
in a hospital or a college, or would like information about what it would
take to start one, Sarah Bajer and I are presenting at Providence, RI,
Workshop #2 on How to Start a HT or HTL School, on Saturday Sept. 21, from
8:00 am - 11:30 am.

Come and collect the information. To register, go to the NSH website
http://www.histoconvention.org/

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcum, Pamela A
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:18 AM
To: 'Weems, Joyce K.' ; 'JenniferMacDonald'
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu ;
histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Unregistered HT

We have heard for years that NSH is working on changing the status to
Laboratory Professionals and so far as I have heard nothing happening to
make the change.  A large part of this is ASCP/all organizations
inspecting/licensing are still looking at us as non-skilled labor that
requires only OJT training or an AA/AS degree at best.  We have a few one
year schools and some online however; not enough to cover the need for HTs
and HTLs.

We need ASCP/CAP/CLIA/all organizations that inspect us and tell us how to
run the laboratories to actually understand we have changed in the last 25
years and no longer just cut and do H&Es.  I am not sure where to go as I
have been bringing this up for years and see no movement.  Take the test to
be an inspector for CAP and you will see the problem clearly.  It is 98%
Clinical Laboratory and maybe 2% Anatomic Pathology.  If you don't know
Clinical you will have a problem passing the test without help.

Pam Marcum