using celloidin RE: [Histonet] Cell Block Preparation

Morken, Timothy Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org
Fri Sep 6 11:48:55 CDT 2013

Our cytology department  uses a technique that involves coating a centrifuge tube with Celloidin then spinning the sample in that tube. The cellodin is then scored and the "bag" of celloidin containing the cell button is taken out and wrapped in paper to be processed in a cassette. It is a tricky and a bit time consuming, but no material is lost in processing.  We do up to 10 samples a day that way.

Reference:
J Clin Pathol. 1982 May; 35(5): 574-576.
A celloidin bag for the histological preparation of cytologic material.
G Bussolati

Tim Morken
Department of Pathology
UC San Francisco Medical Center

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Dessoye, Michael J
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2013 9:39 AM
To: Ann Specian; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Cell Block Preparation

We have had mixed results in the past with cell blocks, but currently we are filtering the fluid through a biopsy bag and processing that.  We seem to be retaining more specimen with that method (we have used sponges and lens paper in the past).

Michael J. Dessoye, M.S. | Histology Supervisor | Wilkes-Barre General Hospital | An Affiliate of Commonwealth Health | mjdessoye <@t> commonwealthhealth.net | 575 N. River Street | Wilkes Barre, PA 18764 | Tel: 570-552-1432 | Fax: 570-552-1526