[Histonet] Tissue Processor

Vickroy, Jim Vickroy.Jim <@t> mhsil.com
Wed Sep 4 12:10:27 CDT 2013

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts or information on the comparison of two tissue processors that we are considering.   The two instruments are the Leica ASP6025 and the Thermofisher Excelsior ES.  We originally also considered another VIP.  The Leica ASP6025 and the Thermofisher unit have a lot of similarities but there are some definite differences including price.  I wish there was a Consumer Reports study of tissue processors because making the correct choice is getting harder and harder.   Our tissue processors run every day and I definitely want an instrument to be able to take the wear and tear of every day usage.  Obviously the VIP 6 has a family of processors that have lasted for years but I'm not sure that they have kept up with the new technology and bells and whistles that make usage easier and more cost-effective.

If you have any experience with one of these processors please let me know, good or bad.  I have been in histology for over 35 years and this is the first time I have felt "like I'm buying a car".
There are so many rumors out there such as:

1.        You have to use proprietary reagents with this processor because the easy fill only works with their bottles. (recall)

2.       One instrument will not last as long as the other because of materials in the design.

3.       Service will be a problem with one company and not the other, because of who is trained to service the instrument.

4.       Etc, Etc, Etc.

I would be forever grateful for any additional information you could give me.  Thanks

James Vickroy BS, HT(ASCP)

Surgical  and Autopsy Pathology Technical Supervisor
Memorial Medical Center
217-788-4046

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.