[Histonet] Microtome Blade safety, in or out when not in use?

McAnn, Sherrian Sherrian.McAnn <@t> va.gov
Fri Oct 25 11:34:39 CDT 2013

AMEN TO THAT!

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcum, Pamela A [mailto:PAMarcum <@t> uams.edu]
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2013 10:05 AM
To: McAnn, Sherrian; Paula Sicurello; Leah Simmons
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Microtome Blade safety, in or out when not in
use?

The rule here is" a blade is cheaper than a cut".  Anytime you are
walking away and returning within a few minutes to cut use the knife
guard otherwise throw the blade out.  It is an accident looking to
happen.  Recently we had a tech decide not use the knife guard and
seriously cut himself by misjudging the distance from his elbow reaching
an knife he was no longer able to use.

Pam Marcum