[Histonet] Shedding biopsies

Davis, Cassie CDavis <@t> che-east.org
Wed Oct 23 07:51:06 CDT 2013

Hi Diana,
RE: "In the past when we receive these samples there has been no issues cutting them.  Over the past few months there has been a tendency for these blocks to shred into fine strips when cut.  Almost like there was sand in the blocks.  Mollifex, decal, warm or cold, doesn't matter they still shred.  Getting levels is such a challenge.  I have inquired at the collection site to determine if there is a change in the process of collecting that could cause this.  I have ensured the samples are not left on gauze or something to allow them to dry out. Even blocks with lots of blood and/or mucous will shred as well as blocks with only a scanty amount present."

There was a problem a few/many years ago with a paraffin manufacture using a cardboard conveyor belt for the pellets. Apparently, small pieces of cardboard making it's way in with the paraffin. You can check your melting tub and see if there is a tan residual in the bottom this will let you know if "foreign" material may be responsible for your problem.

Cassandra Davis

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and
reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.