[Histonet] Manual IHC

Amos Brooks amosbrooks <@t> gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 15:31:42 CDT 2013

Hi,
     I have been doing manual IHC for overflow of what doesn't fit in the
Autostainer or for when I do not have enough to really justify running it
(10 slides or so). Recently, I have been doing it exclusively since my
Autostainer went belly up.
     Given the numbers you provided I assume you are doing about 75-80
slides per day. While I think this is entirely possible to do, you will
find yourself dedicating pretty much the whole day to running these sliked
and not having much time for anything else.
      Advantages: More direct control over each slide, More control over
reagent volumes etc. Equipment costs.
     Disadvantages: It's really easy to get things mixed up and put the
wrong reagent on the wrong slide unless you have a really good OCD eye to
detail. Time variability (how long to rinse the first to last slide).
     Some tips if you do this: the Shandon Sequenza is great for applying
reagents without fussing over keeping everything level. Rinse the slides
*really* well. Be careful with the DAB since you don't need to worry much
about it when using an instrument.
     My personal opinion on this is that given the number of slides you
seem to be running an instrument is certainly justified.

Best of luck,
Amos Brooks