[Histonet] Re: Cytopathology Quest - alcohols

Beth Cox bethcoxx <@t> gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 12:47:22 CDT 2013

Regarding alcohols in cytology:  Amber, you are right about those
alcohols being equivalents for *shrinkage rates* (and since size is one
of the criteria for cyto, shrinkage rates are important) but that does
NOT indicate they perform the same.

Reagent alcohol (but not all other denatured alcohols) has very similar
performance and shrinkage to ethyl alcohol and is considered an good
acceptable substitute.   80% isopropal alcohol has similar shrinkage but
not quite the same performance as ethyl and is considered an adequate
substitute for fixation in emergency situations - the same is true for
absolute methyl alcohol.

Beth Cox, SCT/HTL(ASCP)QIHC