[Histonet] HistoDeck question

Mesru T turkekul <@t> gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 12:37:08 CDT 2013

I have 2nd and 3rd edition of Freida Carson's Histotechnology-A self
Instructional text book. When I read the : 2nd edition pg 98, or 3rd
edition pps 117-118. I noticed that this is not for OilRed O staining but
for forozen sections in general.

When I read: Freida Carson's Histotechnology-A self Instructional text (2nd
edition pps 151-152, or 3rd edition pps 184-185, I found out that Carson
warns that no alcoholic fixative should be used for Oil Red O staining.
Only Formaldehyde (10% formalin or 37% formaldehyde) or calcium-formol are
suggested to be used. Carson also warns that any solution containing
alcohol or organic solvents should be used with caution.
She also mentions that isopropyl alcohol (IPA) or propylene glycol are
safer and do not dissolve lipids as much.
I personally also try to avoid using hematoxylin that contains alcohol.
Correct Answer is A and all others are incorrect.

Regards,
Mesru