[Histonet] RE: thawing and refreezing muscle?

Laura Avogaro avogaro <@t> science.unitn.it
Tue Oct 1 16:42:36 CDT 2013

I would like to fix my muscle tissue samples in formalin after freezing in
OCT. Does anyone have experience or could give me some suggestion? I would
like to avoid artifacts...

Laura Avogaro
Centre for Integrative Biology
University of Trento
Via delle Regole, 101 38123 Mattarello (TN) – Italy

> We have had reasonable results based on rapid thawing of frozen samples
in
> room temperature buffer followed by formalin fixation or rapid freezing
in
> OCT.  With such large samples, though, there are bound to be large ice
crystals in the interior of the specimen regardless of the method used
for
> freezing.

specimens but have heard good things.

[Timothy.Morken <@t> ucsfmedctr.org]
> Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:07 PM
> To: Histonet
> Cc: jmitchell <@t> neurology.wisc.edu
> Subject: [Histonet] thawing and refreezing muscle?
>
> Histonetters, Does anyone have a good method for thawing muscle and
refreezing for histochemistry? With good results? We have some
bulk-frozen
> muscle (centimeter thick) and that is what they want to try.
>
> Tim Morken
> Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies
> Department of Pathology
> UC San Francisco Medical Center

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic
message is intended solely for the personal and confidential use of the
designated recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is
protected from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the
intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
it
> to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify the
> transmitting person/department immediately by email or telephone (410)
581-5881 and delete the message without making a copy.