[Histonet] MOHS IPs

Bauer, Karen L. Bauer.Karen <@t> mayo.edu
Tue Oct 1 14:22:35 CDT 2013

Hi all,

We are in the process of validating some antibodies in our MOHS lab.  The Melan A (Mart 1) antibody is working well, but it could be darker.  We will be increasing the Ab incubation time to see if that will help.

As for the Pan Keratin, we cannot get it to work at all.  We use Protease 2 on our Ultra stainer for FFPE tissues in Histology, but this stain in MOHS is placed on fresh, unfixed tissue... by a manual drop method.  Any time we've tried to use an enzyme retrieval, the tissue looks eaten up... even if we incubate if for a minute.

Since the tissue is not fixed, I figured that no retrieval step would be needed, but the Pan Keratin refuses to work with or without retrieval.

For those of you in MOHS labs that are using a manual staining method for Melan A and Pan Keratin, would you be willing to share your protocol with us?

Thanks so much!!

Karen

Karen L. Bauer HTL/HT (ASCP) | Histology Supervisor | Pathology | MOHS Lab Supervisor | Dermatology | Phone: 715-838-3205 | bauer.karen <@t> mayo.edu<mailto:bauer.karen <@t> mayo.edu> | Mayo Clinic Health System | 1221 Whipple Street | Eau Claire, WI 54702 | mayoclinichealthsystem.org<http://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/>