[Histonet] IHC trun-around-time

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Oct 1 10:19:03 CDT 2013

>From what you wrote I imagine that the 10AM cutoff is for the pathologists requests from cases read the previous day, right? If that is the case, the pathologists are pushing to do something when the root of the problem is their diagnosis requiring IHC as confirmation tests.
If the IHC are from same day cases that you gave them early in the morning and they read before 10AM I believe that your cutoff time is OK because you will need about 4h to complete the while cycle(recut→ HIER→IHC procedure). I imagine that you are at the most 3 HTs and if that is the case you could also make the one doing the IHC to start at 0800 and finish at 1800 but in that case maybe the slides will not be on time.
You have to work with the pathologists on this issue
René J.

________________________________
From: Tom McNemar <TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:00 AM
Subject: [Histonet] IHC trun-around-time

Hello all,

I am wondering how many places offer same-day staining of IHC.  We are a small hospital based lab that averages about 70 IHC slides per week.  We operate 5 days/week, 0600-1600.  We give same day staining for IHC requests that are received by 10am and are using the Ventana Benchmark XT.  Due to some issues that have developed, we may have to change the way we do things.

With our current 10am cutoff plus possible pre-analytical changes the instrument will finish too late in the afternoon.  The pathologists really like the same day service on IHC but I'm thinking that I may have to make the cutoff time earlier and anything after that will just have to wait.

So I am wondering if anyone else of similar size, instrumentation, and workload, offers same-day staining for IHC.  I appreciate your input.  Thanks.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems
(740) 348-4163
(740) 348-4166
tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org<mailto:tmcnemar <@t> lmhealth.org>
www.LMHealth.org<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\TMCNEMAR\Application%20Data\Microsoft\Signatures\www.LMHealth.org>

This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to whom it is addressed, and contains information from Licking Memorial Health Systems which is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, nor authorized to receive for the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this e-mail and attachments is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message immediately. You may also contact the LMH Process Improvement Center at 740-348-4641. E-mail transmissions cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. Thank you.