[Histonet] human lymph nodes from a cadaver

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Oct 1 10:10:18 CDT 2013

Your problems may reside on the time it took between death and autopsy. If more than 12 hours the LN may have started decay and fixation on these circumstances will be very problematic compromising the whole process after wards. That could be the root of your problems because if autopsy takes place soon the LN will present no problems
René J.

________________________________
From: "Scanlan, Megan Anne" <MASCANLAN <@t> PARTNERS.ORG>
To: "'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 3:51 PM
Subject: [Histonet] human lymph nodes from a cadaver

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience cutting human lymph nodes from a cadaver in paraffin blocks?  I am having quite a lot of trouble getting good sections, even using a brand new blade the sections end up with multiple blade marks streaking through the tissue and paraffin.

I've contacted the researcher that gave me the samples to cut asking about how the cadaver was preserved and what fixatives they used.  I'm thinking that the samples may not have been processed well enough since I've tried all the normal tricks for cutting paraffin's.  There was one sample that seemed to have a calcium deposit or some very hardened tissue, not entirely sure but it nicked up the blade pretty good making sectioning impossible on that one.

I'm not sure if the reason I am having trouble sectioning is because these came from a cadaver or because they are human lymph nodes, it is my first time cutting either of these things.

Any and all advice and opinions are welcomed

Thank you,
    Megan

Megan Scanlan
Research Technician I