R: RE: [Histonet] Over fixation

massimo.tosi_m <@t> libero.it massimo.tosi_m <@t> libero.it
Mon Nov 25 01:11:02 CST 2013

It is an ancient method but it works well to avoid that the formalin becomes
acid.
It owed to the formation of formic acid (HCOOH).
It is enough to put i a little piece of marble (CaCO3) nto the solution
together with the specimens.
(Reference:" Histology Technique" - Dr. Hans-Christian Burck)

Kind Regards,
Massimo Tosi

difficult.  This possibly happens if the formalin becomes acidic over time.
This can be improved by treating the tissue with 0.05% periodic acid followed
by a water wash and then staining as usual.

bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sanjeet
>Sent: Monday, 25 November 2013 6:33 AM
>To: Tony Reilly; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>Subject: [Histonet] Over fixation
>
>Hi Histo folks,
>Tissue biopsy that are  not fixed properly do have an adverse effect on H & E
staining. Tissues can be kept in formalin for a period of 5 to 7 days as per
literature. But what happens to the tissues that are kept over for a longer
period of time. By that I mean 6 to 12 months. Would over fixed tissues have
any effect on H & E stain. Some of my colleagues say NO, but I say YES. I find
that the over fixed tissues lose their affinity towards the dyes . Please
advice.

>Sent from my iPhone
>

>********************************************************************************
>This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is not waived
or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it
is transmitted/received in error.
>Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is strictly prohibited.  The information contained in this email,
including any attachment sent with it, may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.
>If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email
in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone collect
on Australia +61 1800 198 175 or by return email.  You should also delete this
email, and any copies, from your computer system network and destroy any hard
copies produced.
>If not an intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute or
take any action(s) that relies on it; any form of disclosure, modification,
distribution and/or publication of this email is also prohibited.
>Although Queensland Health takes all reasonable steps to ensure this email
does not contain malicious software, Queensland Health does not accept
responsibility for the consequences if any person's computer inadvertently
suffers any disruption to services, loss of information, harm or is infected
with a virus, other malicious computer programme or code that may occur as a
consequence of receiving this email.
>Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views of the sender
and not the views of the Queensland Government.