AW: [Histonet] Histo arcania ... Reticulum vs Reticulin

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t>
Sat Nov 9 02:12:56 CST 2013

A small correction:
The German word is not "Glitterfaser" but "Gitterfaser".  And "Gitter" means
net or grid.
My old latin dictionary says: Reticulum means "small net" , going back to
"rete" as net.

I think the correct name for the stain should be reticulum-stain, because
it's more or less unspecific to special proteins.


-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t>
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t>] Im Auftrag von Rene J
Gesendet: Freitag, 08. November 2013 15:46
An: Morken, Timothy; Histonet
Betreff: Re: [Histonet] Histo arcania ... Reticulum vs Reticulin

There is only a semantics difference. "Reticulum" is a connective mesh
holding together some organs components such as liver, spleen, lymph nodes
and bone marrow. In the German literature is called "glitterfassern" and
many silver stains, such as Gomori, are specific for it.
"Reticulin" is used either to refer to the "holding mesh" or to the stain,
especially when dealing with bone marrow specimens.
René J.

From: "Morken, Timothy" <Timothy.Morken <@t>>
To: Histonet <histonet <@t>> 
Sent: Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:02 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Histo arcania ... Reticulum vs Reticulin

Oh Great Histonet, how do you describe the difference, if any, between the
terms "reticulum" and "reticulin."

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy and Neuromuscular Special Studies
UC San Francisco Medical Center
Box 1656
505 Parnassus Ave
San Francisco, CA 94143

415.353.1266  (office)
tim.morken <@t><mailto:tim.morken <@t>>

Histonet mailing list
Histonet <@t>
Histonet mailing list
Histonet <@t>

More information about the Histonet mailing list