[Histonet] Problems with H&E Bleeding

Laurie Colbert lcolbert <@t> pathmdlabs.com
Mon Nov 4 09:42:50 CST 2013

You probably have water and/or alcohol contamination in your xylenes.  Make sure  your dehydrating alcohols after the eosin are really clean.

Laurie Colbert, HT (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
PATH MD
8158 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA  90048
(323) 648-3214 direct
(424) 245-7284 main lab

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Anna Coffey
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 7:21 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Problems with H&E Bleeding

Hello Histonetters,

We have recently noticed some bleeding of our H&E stained tissues and I was curious to hear if anyone has had problems with this before.  There will just be a faint halo of stain around the tissue.  This seems to be happening inconsistently (various tissues, even differences within the same stained batch) and has now occurred with both paraffin-embedded and frozen tissue, so with 2 different programs in our autostainer.  If you've seen this in your lab before, were you able to isolate the cause and fix it?
 I'd be very appreciative of any advice you may have about what we can do to fix this problem.

Thanks,
Anna

--
Anna Coffey