[Histonet] RE: cell block staining issues

Cartun, Richard Richard.Cartun <@t> hhchealth.org
Sun Nov 3 14:49:44 CST 2013

I always recommend that cytology specimens be collected (or rinsed) in sterile saline or RPMI.  Although fixation in alcohol can preserve some proteins very nicely, it can also damage others.  CytoLyt contains methanol.  Interesting that your Cytopath MDs still use B72.3; most labs have stopped using it.  I have to admit that I still offer it, but we don't do it that often.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, MS, PhD
Director, Histology & Immunopathology
Director, Biospecimen Collection Programs
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596 Office
(860) 545-2204 Fax
richard.cartun <@t> hhchealth.org

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Martha Ward-Pathology [mward <@t> wakehealth.edu]
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:18 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] cell block staining issues

We have something of a mystery here and I am hoping someone can help.  My cytopath docs are saying that our B72.3 (TAG-72) antibody is not working well in cell blocks created from fluids (plural), etc. and that this is a fairly recent development (over the past 5-6 weeks or so).    The surgical cases we have stained look great as does our control, which is placed on each slide.   We have not changed lot numbers of antibody or made any up recently and the antibody is not expired, or even close.    The only thing we can find that is different is that cytology has been rinsing the needles out with a product called Cytolyt, instead of saline and they started this around the first of August.    Does anyone know if this product could cause any interference with our staining?  The docs just say that the tumor cells are not staining and we are sort of at a loss here.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Martha Ward, MT (ASCP) QIHC
Manager
[Wake Forest Baptist Health]
Molecular Diagnostics Lab
Medical Center Boulevard  \  Winston-Salem, NC 27157 p 336.716.2109  \  f 336.716.5890 mward <@t> wakehealth.edu

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message, including any attachments.