[Histonet] RE: Formalin

Mark Turner mturner <@t> CSILaboratories.com
Fri May 31 13:44:00 CDT 2013

I don't believe there are any regulations on the national or federal level, however you might want to check any local regulations pertaining to storage amounts.  I have found these to vary widely, many times being much more strict than national regulations.  A 2 gallon maximum is not realistic in either case.

Mark Turner,  HT(ASCP)QIHC
Manager, Histology/IHC

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of darkdaym <@t> comcast.net
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 2:27 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: Formalin

Elizabethand Allison,

The US adopted the Globally Harmonized System(GHS) some time ago.
Compliance is not yet required, but you might want to check out 29CFR1910.1200. It will probably affect all labs to some extent.  Just enter that term in your browser.

The OSHA GHS storage requirement for Flammable Liquids is at
29CFR1910.1200 AppendixC.4.1.9. Formalin Fixative falls in Category 4.
"Store in a well-ventilated place.  Keep cool."That's all. No limits of any kind are mentionedunder the new standards. Of course, any workplace maybe subject to more stringent regulations.

Regards,
Mark