[Histonet] Extra Money

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Thu May 30 18:28:40 CDT 2013

The poster reimbursement has been addressed. So I'll talk about workshop
presenters. It's not a free trip, but some of it is paid. For presenting 1
workshop, you are reimbursed:
- air fare or cost of driving, whichever is least
- parking at airport (if flying) or at hotel (if driving)
- 2 nights of hotel (not to exceed the "convention" hotel rate). You pay for
the extra days of hotel you are there.
- registration fee ($35), but you have to pay for any workshops you want to
attend
- 1 banquet ticket
- meals for 2 days (I think it's about $35/day). If you know the cost of
food at convention hotels, $35 MIGHT cover part of breakfast and lunch. If
you are over the $35, you pay for the rest. If you are there more than 2
days, you pay for your own food.

So presenting does not give you a free ride to the convention, but it does
help reduce the amount that you pay to attend.

If anyone is interested in presenting, it works best if you have presented
several times at your state meeting/symposium, and start building up a good
reputation as a good presenter. NSH usually does not ask a "first time
presenter" to talk at a national symposium. If you have no state
organization, ask NSH to help you start one. Or, start presenting at
in-services where you work. Don't have any of those? Start a monthly
in-service, and put that on your resume/CV. (yes, you will need a curriculum
vitae to submit to NSH if accepted.)

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073