AW: [Histonet] Movat Pentachrome - Need to enhance Alcian Blue

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Tue May 28 09:08:18 CDT 2013

Hi Krista,
Maybe the bad stainability is more due to oxidation by air of the old
block-surface than due to fixation. A deeper slide for comparison would
show.
I don't know what the alkaline alcohol is good for ?

Gudrun

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Krista
Sider
Gesendet: Montag, 27. Mai 2013 23:28
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] Movat Pentachrome - Need to enhance Alcian Blue

Hi All,

I had wonderful help from this site for my Woodstain Scarlet-Acid Fuchsin
binding collagen problem. Now that this is fixed I have realized that the
Alcian Blue is not staining my excessively fixed samples (Human Aorta &
Aortic Valve, formalin fixed 2-4 years, embedded in paraffin and stored at
RT for ~6 years). I have some samples fixed for only 2-6 months and these
are fine but the samples fixed for 2-4 years do not uptake the Alcian Blue.
I have taken it up to 1 hr in the 1% Alcian Blue solution followed by 10 min
in 56*C Alkaline Alcohol solution. I do a 1hr Bouin's 50*C to start (I have
also tried Bouin's at 60*C).

Any ideas on how I can get the Alcian Blue to stain these excessively fixed
samples or possibly a substitute? I need to see the proteoglycans/GAGs.

Thank you
Krista