[Histonet] Safranin O cartilage staining

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Wed May 22 09:14:26 CDT 2013

Brett

Safranin O can be a bit tricky at times.   There are a few tips that we have used through the years.

1.  Fresh reagents are key.
2.  For proteoglycan staining you can cut the sections a bit thicker and get better staining we typically cut the joint sections for Saf O at 6 to 7 microns in thickness, there are papers out there that recommend up to 8 microns in thickness.
3.  Limit excess time in decal for some reason this particular stain may not work as well if the samples are in decal for an extended period of time, we have not seen this with toluidine blue which is another stain for proteoglycan.
4.  We increase times in the safranin O reagent on occasion for the murine joints.

Good Luck

Liz

Laboratory Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC