[Histonet] Oven recommendations

WILLIAM DESALVO wdesalvo.cac <@t> outlook.com
Wed May 22 09:08:03 CDT 2013

Since you state you are in reasearch, consider air drying your slides. You only need to remove the water between the paraffin section and the glass slide to allow adhesion of the proteins in the tissue sample to the glass. Melting the paraffin in not necessary, your deparaffinization steps in the routine and special staining protocols will adequately remove the paraffin from the tissue section.

Using an oven that was not designed to "melt" paraffin off the glass slide can be very hazardous. The parafin can drop don into the heating elementsand cause an ignition and fire.

William DeSalvo, BS HTL(ASCP)
Production Manager-Anatomic Pathology
Chair, NSH Quality Management Committee
Owner/Consultant, Collaborative Advantage Consulting