[Histonet] CAP question

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue May 21 17:07:28 CDT 2013

CAP does not put any number as to how much CE is required for working techs.
Just that there is a CE program (54200), and that there is a record of CE in
the personnel records (54400, #6).

GEN.54200 Continuing Education Phase I
There is a functional continuing clinical laboratory education program
adequate to meet the needs of all personnel.
Evidence of Compliance: Written policy for continuing laboratory education

GEN.54400 Personnel Records Phase II
Personnel files are maintained on all current technical personnel and
personnel records include all of the following items.
1. Summary of training and experience
2. Copy of academic degree or transcript
3. License, if required by state
4. Certification, if required by state or employer
5. Description of current duties and responsibilities as specified by the
laboratory director: a) Procedures the individual is authorized to perform,
b) Whether supervision is required for specimen processing, test performance
or result reporting, c) Whether supervisory or director review is required
to report patient test results
6. Records of continuing education
7. Records of radiation exposure where applicable (such as with in vivo
radiation testing), but not required for low exposure levels such as certain
in-vitro testing
8. Work-related incident and/or accident records
9. Dates of employment

However, the CMP (Competency Maintenance programP of ASCP says, if you are a
certified tech (certified on or after Jan. 1, 2004), you need 36 hours CE
every 3 years, to maintain your certification.

http://ascp.org/PDF/BOC-PDFs/CMP/CMPBooklet.aspx

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Health System
Royal Oak, MI 48073

The opinions expressed are mine, and do not reflect my place of employment.