[Histonet] CAP question

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue May 21 17:07:28 CDT 2013

CAP does not put any number as to how much CE is required for working techs. 
Just that there is a CE program (54200), and that there is a record of CE in 
the personnel records (54400, #6).

GEN.54200 Continuing Education Phase I
There is a functional continuing clinical laboratory education program 
adequate to meet the needs of all personnel.
Evidence of Compliance: Written policy for continuing laboratory education

GEN.54400 Personnel Records Phase II
Personnel files are maintained on all current technical personnel and 
personnel records include all of the following items.
1. Summary of training and experience
2. Copy of academic degree or transcript
3. License, if required by state
4. Certification, if required by state or employer
5. Description of current duties and responsibilities as specified by the 
laboratory director: a) Procedures the individual is authorized to perform, 
b) Whether supervision is required for specimen processing, test performance 
or result reporting, c) Whether supervisory or director review is required 
to report patient test results
6. Records of continuing education
7. Records of radiation exposure where applicable (such as with in vivo 
radiation testing), but not required for low exposure levels such as certain 
in-vitro testing
8. Work-related incident and/or accident records
9. Dates of employment

However, the CMP (Competency Maintenance programP of ASCP says, if you are a 
certified tech (certified on or after Jan. 1, 2004), you need 36 hours CE 
every 3 years, to maintain your certification.


Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Health System
Royal Oak, MI 48073

The opinions expressed are mine, and do not reflect my place of employment.

-----Original Message----- 
From: Madeline Gi
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 4:20 PM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] CAP question

I have a question which was asked before but I don't remember the answer, 
how many CEU's are required by CAP for a histologist in New York City. 
Thanks in advance

Madeline Rotger Milanese H.T. BSHCS
500 New Hempstead Rd.
New City N.Y. 10965
845-362-3200 Ext 129
madelinegi <@t> yahoo.com
Histonet mailing list
Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

More information about the Histonet mailing list