[Histonet] Frozen Tissue Retention

Bradley, Joshua, D jdbradley <@t> cmh.edu
Tue May 21 12:05:05 CDT 2013

I am curious as to the frozen tissue retention policies in other institutions, especially in children's facilities.  How long are samples considered diagnostically viable and relevant to patient care?  What is done with the tissue when the time limit is reached?

Our facility is interested in using old samples in research applications (unidentified of course).  We currently have a retention policy of 10 years, but wanted to gauge how other facilities approach this matter.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Joshua D. Bradley, B.S., HT(ASCP)CM
Clinical Lab Supervisor-Histology
Children's Mercy Hospital
Kansas City, MO

Electronic mail from Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics. This communication is intended only for the use of the addressee. It may contain information that is privileged or confidential under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or the agent of the recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately forward the message to Children's Mercy Hospital's Information Security Officer via return electronic mail at informationsecurityofficer <@t> cmh.edu and expunge this communication without making any copies. Thank you for your cooperation.