[Histonet] Xylene substitutes for tissue processor clean cycle

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue May 21 10:38:40 CDT 2013

Use a 5% solution of a strong lab detergent in isopropyl alcohol. Since the cleaning cycle is completed at 50ºC that will be enough and you will not have to expose yourself to xylene vapors.
René J.

From: "Conway, Carla" <cmconway <@t> usgs.gov>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 11:25 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Xylene substitutes for tissue processor clean cycle

Hello all,

The technician who does preventive maintenance on our LX-120 tissue
processor recommended that we use xylene as the solvent in our clean cycle.
We are considering using a xylene substitue in the clean cycle and would
appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks very much,

Carla Conway
Histology Technician