[Histonet] histotech job opening, Merck Research Laboratories,
Palo Alto CA
Yearley, Jennifer Holmes
jennifer.yearley <@t> merck.com
Tue May 7 15:43:51 CDT 2013
Histotechnician/Histotechnologist - PHA001165
Merck is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and consumer health products, as well as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Pathology Department at Merck Research Laboratories, Palo Alto, is currently seeking an energetic, self-motivated, highly collaborative histotechnician/histotechnologist to join our histology group to help support basic research, mechanistic studies, and biomarker development for evaluations of candidate biological pharmaceuticals. The successful candidate will have a strong histology background, excellent organizational skills and be a confident multitasker, able to juggle multiple responsibilities in a team environment, often under stringent time pressures. Responsibilities for the position will include:
* Assistance with mouse tissue collection/tissue handling at necropsy
* Familiarity with and implementation of routine fixation and decalcification protocols
* Grossing in of a wide array of human and animal tissues, both osseous and non-osseous
* Assistance with data entry and database updating for specimens in in-house tissue bank
* Fixed tissue processing and maintenance of tissue processors
* Tissue embedding into paraffin/OCT
* Sectioning of FFPE and frozen tissue blocks
* Labeling of slides and tissue cassettes using automated slide and cassette printers
* Performance of routine (H&E) and special histochemical stains (both manual and automated)
The succesful candidate will be a strong communicator with good writing skills, which will be used to generate well-organized, comprehensive, and timely documentation of work planned and results on completion. The successful candidate will occasionally be responsible, with supervision, for designing small experiments to test new methods, improve old methods, and/or answer well-defined questions pertaining to tissue properties. The successful candidate will consult with investigators on points of technical detail regarding tissue handling as needed. Comfort with common office computer software (e.g. Microsoft Office) is essential.
* BA/BS in the biological sciences, with a minimum of 3 years full-time work in a biological research or clinical laboratory or a MS degree in Biological Sciences
Preferred Skills and Experience:
* HT(ASCP) or HTL(ASCP) certification
* Familiarity with principles and techniques of immunohistochemistry
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Merck's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains
information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station,
New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates Direct contact information
for affiliates is available at
http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be confidential,
proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are
not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error,
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from
More information about the Histonet