[Histonet] Genta vs alcian blue

Robert Lott rllott <@t> bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 30 16:27:17 CDT 2013

As Joyce has pointed out below, the Genta is a Modified Steiner (for
visualization of H.P.) then Alcian Blue (for visualization of signet ring
cells and any other metaplasia) and H&E (for visualization of routine
gastric morphology)...

J Clin Pathol. 1997 October; 50(10): 867-868.

PMCID: PMC500272

Early diagnosis of signet ring cell carcinoma of the stomach: role of the
Genta stain.

H M el-Zimaity, K Itani, and D Y Graham

Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas,
USA.

Copyright notice <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/about/copyright.html>

Abstract

Signet ring cell carcinoma is a poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma in
which the tumor cells invade singly or in small groups. Early stages of the
disease can be missed easily when using regular hematoxylin and eosin
staining. This is a report of a case in which routine screening of gastric
biopsies with the Genta stain was responsible for rapid identification of
signet ring carcinoma. The patient, a 29 year old woman, had a large portion
of the antrum excised surgically for signet ring cell gastric carcinoma.
Follow up endoscopy six years later showed no evidence of tumor. Twenty six
large cup biopsies were obtained and a "single focus" of signet ring tumor
cells infiltrating the surface mucosa in single file was seen. The diagnosis
was missed on hematoxylin and eosin stain by three senior pathologists but
owing to "the Alcian blue component" of the Genta stain the tumor cells were
recognized easily. Thus, the Genta stain not only facilitates "detection of
Helicobacter pylori" but also allows for "simultaneous visualization of
gastric morphology" as well as "signet ring carcinoma" that can be missed
with conventional stains.

Best Regards,

Robert L. Lott

Robert L. Lott, HTL(ASCP)