[Histonet] RE: minus 80 freezer safe time in power outage

Helen Fedor hfedor <@t> jhmi.edu
Fri Mar 29 11:19:05 CDT 2013

Hello,  I think it would depend on what you think the malfunction is due to. If you do not have a solution in sight. I would start thinking about moving them immediately. RNA is sensitive to this type of warming.  How long is the transfer going to take? If they already up to -40 they are going to be to -30 when they get to their new destination. And that is a problem.

Helen

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Morken, Timothy
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 11:16 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] minus 80 freezer safe time in power outage

Hi all, For a minus 80 freezer what would you consider a "safe" time period that it can go without power before the temperature gets too high and contents need to be transferred (assuming door stays closed)?  I'm thinking -40 would be a cutoff temp to move samples. Anyone else think differently about that?

Thanks for any info!

Tim Morken
Supervisor, Electron Microscopy/Neuromuscular Special Studies Department of Pathology UC San Francisco Medical Center
505 Parnassus Ave, Box 1656
Room S570
San Francisco, CA 94143

(415) 353-1266 (ph)