[Histonet] Histonet

Hugh Luk hlukey <@t> msn.com
Wed Mar 27 19:49:05 CDT 2013

Sophia,

Holes like you mentioned, are probably from the polymers or impurities in your embedding wax separating.  Gayle Callus mentioned this several times (see histosearch), and recommended "Stirring" the embedding paraffin every so often (before every use).  It could also be your tissue processing.  Check to make sure it is properly processed.  Embed without letting the wax solidify before doing so.  You may have a bad batch of reagents?

As for the stainer, Hazy nuclei, as long as you are sure your hemotoxylin is fine, are indicative of incomplete deparaffinzation, which could mean your OVEN or your reagents.  It could also be your acid/base solutions.

Note:  Have you started a new lot # of wax?  How about xylene (xylene-substiture) or alcohols?  I have heard people saying X-brand paraffin was having problems with impurities that could cause these problems.  I also heard it was solved last year.

Also, your stainer has very little leeway in deparaffinzation.  You might have to do things by hand until this problem is resolved.  You know, deparaffinize to water using the longer method, then finish the H&E in the stainer.  Does this help?

Good luck (whoa, you have your work cut out for you),
Hugh
UH Cancer Center
Hawaii