[Histonet] RE: Eosin not working for xylene free H&E

Goins, Tresa TGoins <@t> mt.gov
Wed Mar 27 11:11:48 CDT 2013

We use hot detergent solution for dewax and a xylene substitute (Pro-Par) after staining without problems.  If there is water accumulating in the clearant, it can be removed with a molecular sieve placed in the staining trays.  We don't have that problem here in Montana because it is dry dry dry.

Tresa

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sarah Dysart
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:11 AM
To: Gerard Spoelstra; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] RE: Eosin not working for xylene free H&E

This exact reason is how I convinced my lab to go back to xylene!!  I figure it's because there is water in your substitute.  Because you can't see if there is water in it (from the air moisture or wherever...) it becomes frusterating and annoying to have to change out to fresh solutions sometimes several times a day!!
Good Luck!!

Sarah Goebel-Dysart, BA, HT(ASCP), QIHC (ASCP) Histotechnologist Mirna Therapeutics
2150 Woodward Street
Suite 100
Austin, Texas  78744
(512)901-0900 ext. 6912