[Histonet] Leica Coverslipper

Contact HistoCare contact <@t> histocare.com
Fri Mar 22 09:29:59 CDT 2013

Hi,

The alerts are not from problems or malfunctions, they're from normal operation.  For example the suction arm WILL alert if the cover glass is picked up and another is attached to the first one and somehow lands in a manner that makes the arm thinks the glass reservoir is empty. It WILL alert until someone quiets the alert, to let you know if the two racks are complete. It WILL alert once three racks have been coverslipped while it attempts to discharge a fourth rack and jam itself up.

As someone mentioned previously, it definitely needs to be babysat just for normal operation. I agree that it is over-engineered , and yes the arm picking the slide up in the air is a poor design. The sakura uses an actuator to push the slide out and back in. In fact it's able to coverslip two slides in the same time the Leica does one.

Although it is sufficient, It is not ideal for high volume operations. Personal preferences and contractual allegiances aside, the Sakura combo wins by a mile for bulletproof reliability and ability to handle large quantities without fail or alert.

--------------

I have the Leica stainer and coverslipper, and I don't have anywhere near as
many problems with the coverslipper as  described by "Contact" below.

Mine alerts once in a while; if his alerts that much, then something is
seriously wrong.  (The last time mine alerted that much, it needed a new
"brain"-this is an older machine that had 5 circuit boards and one gave
out-and one new sensor.  Still worth it to us to fix it.)  Anything as
complex as staining and coverslipping robots will be fussy from time to
time.  But I love my Leica!

Kathleen

Principal Lab Technician
Neurotoxicology Labs