[Histonet] RE: yeast comtamination on surepath

Tony Henwood (SCHN) tony.henwood <@t> health.nsw.gov.au
Mon Mar 18 17:32:50 CDT 2013

Nancy,
The yeast may be growing in the Specimen collection vials.
I found a similar problem with environmental yeasts growing in Hanks media (Henwood, A. (2011), Fungal contamination of Hanks solution. Diagn. Cytopathol. doi: 10.1002/dc.21798)

I would recommend random cytocentrifuge preps, air-dried and stained with Giemsa or DiffQuik, taken from different lots of the un-used collection vials as a QC.

Regards
Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC), FFSc(RCPA)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Nancy Schmitt
Sent: Tuesday, 19 March 2013 12:47 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] yeast comtamination on surepath

Happy Monday!
We are running surepath paps on the prepstain instrument.  We are seeing yeast  - and it seems to occur after we have had a PM done.  I am wondering if anyone else sees this and how you are handling it.  We have been bleaching the lines each day the cytotechs report they have seen it, but it seems to keep popping up.  We filter our stains and perform routine maintenance as instructed.  I have contacted technical support - they were not so helpful:(  I will be giving that another whirl if doesn't clear up soon.
Thank you for any advice - and I know this is a histology site, but I have been impressed with the cytoprep advice I have received here.
Nancy Schmitt HT, MLT(ASCP)
Histology Coordinator
Dubuque, IA

NOTICE: This email may contain legally privileged information. The information is for the use of only the intended recipient(s) even if addressed incorrectly. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender that you have received it in error and then delete it along with any attachments. Thank you.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Sydney Children's Hospitals Network.

This note also confirms that this email message has been virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, The Sydney Childrens Hospital's Network accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.