[Histonet] AFB and Negative Control

Ian R Bernard ibernard <@t> uab.edu
Thu Mar 14 07:42:30 CDT 2013

The only special stain that I know that requires the use of a negative control is for the AFB. I understand to rule out false positives as the AFB bacteria might exist in tap water. Nevertheless, a good QA practice which we will implement now.

Other than Carson, does anyone know of a regulatory or accreditation agency is requiring this as well?  Any suggestion on a good control tissue type? Carson recommends uterus.  Also if there is a pick up on the negative slide (link to the tap water) will use of distilled water and a repeat procedure fix this?

Any thoughts from fellow histonetters?

Thanks
Ian Bernard

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Lee & Peggy Wenk
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:21 PM
To: Tighe,Sean T; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Alizarin Red S Staining Protocol

We always used a 2% Alizarin red S (never tried it with 1%. I'm guessing that you would just have to leave it in longer.)

We pH it to 4.1-4.3 with 0.5% ammonium hydroxide. I don't remember what the pH is when we begin, but note, we're adding a BASE to bring the pH up to ~4.2. So alizarin red S must be fairly acidic when dissolved in water.

I was told that this is a chelating solution for soft metals. It therefore is not a specific stain for calcium, as it will also stain magnesium, manganese, barium, and strontium. However, these metals are usually not in very high concentrations. But to make it more specific for calcium, a pH of
4.1-4.3 is recommended.

I've never done this stain on cell cultures, only on formalin fixed, paraffin embedded, 5 um thick sections. And we find that staining between
1-2 minutes works the best. This is a very sensitive stain. The longer the slide is left in the solution, the more and more the alizarin red S stains the background, to the point that it becomes difficult to tell positive calcium from background staining. Every cell has calcium in it (think membrane transport), and eventually, all the cells are going to pick up background orange color, not just the lesions with calcium.

You mention extraction with acetic acid. Extracting what? Are you trying to extract the background staining? I don't know if that will work. This is a chelating agent . . . the CLAW! Once chelating agents hook up with the metal, they don't let go. I just don't happen to know if acid will disrupt this chelating bond. So it would be better to cut the time way down (try 1-2 minutes, see how it looks), and don't have so much background staining to begin with.

Let us know how it turns out.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Health System
Royal Oak, MI 48073

Opinions expressed are mine, and do not reflect upon my place of employment.