[Histonet] Pregnancy

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Mar 5 12:29:58 CST 2013

Using carbon masks is acceptable but not the best solution which is assigning tasks not requiring working with xylene which is EXTREMELY dangerous.
Please go to http://www.histosearch.com/rene.html
 and read the article about xylene substitution where I discuss precisely this issue.
By the way, in that same website you can learn how to dewax and coverslip WITHOUT xylene.
René J.

From: "Parker, Helayne" <HParker <@t> Skaggs.Net>
To: "'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:09 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Pregnancy

Hi Gang,
  Thought I would ask some people with some more experience than I in this.  One of our techs is pregnant-  Yay !!!  She is very early - about 5 weeks.  My Lab Director wants her to start wearing a mask due to the chemicals.  So we need to ask what sort of precautions need to take place during the pregnancy etc.  We also coverslip by hand here out of xylene etc.  I can not remember ever working with any pregnant HTs in the past so I honestly do not know.  Please carbon copy replies to JAScholefield <@t> skaggs.net as well.  We predominately work with 10% formalin, reagent grade alcohols, paraplast, xylenes, clear-rite 3, Decal I and II (from Surgipath), cytofixative and some routine special stain items. Basically the typical myriad of stuff a very small routine histo lab would have (no immunos)....

Thanks and bunch for your help !

Sincerely,

Helayne Parker, H.T. (ASCP)
Pathology Section Head
Cox Medical Center Branson
P.O. Box 650, Branson, MO 65615
Phone:  417-335-7254
Fax:  417-335-7127
Email:  hparker <@t> skaggs.net
Web:  www.coxhealth.com/branson

CoxHealth – ranked one of Missouri's Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report
COXHEALTH CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information protected by law.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.