[Histonet] MMR IHC question

Mark Tarango marktarango <@t> gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 12:54:50 CDT 2013

Hi Curt,

You can setup these assays from scratch if you know what you're doing, but
if you want FDA approved or to buy simple kits then you need to go with a
company that sell that.  Roche just recently had their EGFR assay FDA
approved.

We are using Qiagen products for EGFR, KRAS, BRAF.  We use the QIAcube for
DNA extraction, the QIAgility for liquid handling in preparation of master
mixes, and the rotorgene for real-time PCR.  There are different tests to
reflex to at the  point of MMR negative IHC staining.  Some labs do BRAF
and/or KRAS as a surrogate marker for sporadic CRC.  Other labs might do
methylation testing directly.  We're currently validating a sequencing
methylation assay for MLH-1 using Qiagen's pyrosequencing platform
(PyroMark).  You should definitely have a pathologist involved in this.

Mark